Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Lightening Up

Courtesy of Spider, a meme.

1. Thank the person that tagged you.
2. List 5 random/strange/weird things about you.
3. Tag 5 other people.

Thank you, Spider, for tagging me. And while I'm at it, thank you too for gently urging me out of my comfort zone as it relates to the homeless. How wonderful to inspire us to be better people and reach out to others.

Now, five r/s/w things about me:


  1. When I went away to college I was horrified to learn I had been mispronouncing the word "mischievous" (yes, I said miss-chee-vee-us...ugh!) and the name "Genevieve" (you got it, gin-uh-veev...another ugh, although my father worked with someone who spelled and pronounced her name that way). It's really embarrassing to divulge this; pretty amazing considering other things I have so blithely admitted to you.
  2. I love sandwiches made with (large amounts of) Underwood's Deviled Ham on white bread with lots of mayonnaise. This is real comfort food for me.
  3. I'm horrified when I see the "innards" of elevators - like when they are being serviced with the door open but the elevator half below floor level. I also hate to see a dismantled escalator. I imagine being crushed and mashed in the steel machinery, and it reminds me of a dream I had right after surgery. But I digress...
  4. When I am on a highrise balcony or rooftop, in a highrise with windows that open or on a cliff, I have an overwhelming urge to jump. It's not like feeling suicidal, just a very strong desire to leap. My grandmother told me that one of her sisters also described this same urge..
  5. One of the strangest things I have witnessed is ball lightning. I was at work during a thunderstorm. An intensely bright glowing fiery basketball-sized object appeared floating near the ceiling inside a corridor lined with floor to ceiling windows. Two other people also witnessed it. We stared in astonishment as it moved in our direction for a few seconds then flashed with an electrical-sounding pop and disappeared.

Rather than tag I am going to invite any lurkers who might feel so inclined to leave a comment and participate in this meme. "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you. Getting to like you, getting to hope you like me." Oops, now I'm channelling Woe.

Have a great day everyone.

Flip

2 comments:

Anthony said...

lmao, Channeling me indeed. It is great to learn about you.

With the urge to jump do you imagine being able to fly? I can't imagine wanting to jump unless you believed you would live.
The ball lightning sounds freaky.

Oh and I liked you long ago my friend.

Spider said...

Gee - I still pronounce "mischievous" just like you did - so much for all my years of higher education.

I have had a thing about elevator innards ever since that epidode of "Six Feet Under" where the guy got cut in half by one.

And I also have the desire to jump - also my bladder tightens up and it feels like the boys are going to crawl into my stomach...