Thursday, February 16, 2006

Today, Gratitude

AA makes it crystal clear that rigorous honesty is critical to my continued sobriety. Sobriety gives me a chance to live.

My shrink, the esteemed Dr. M, has been reminding me since I started seeing him two years ago that it takes a lot of energy to live a double life.

When he first said it I agreed wholeheartedly. I was almost totally closeted, married with children and had a secret boyfriend on the side whom I was partially supporting financially. I was run ragged and at the end of my rope. My only relief was drinking and that was working less and less.

As I came out to family and close friends, sobered up and shed the boyfriend I wondered why Dr. M periodically kept mentioning the double life / energy thing. I assumed he was not paying sufficient attention to the progress I was making. After all, I had gotten to a point where my only complication was occasional anonymous (as safe as possible) sex with men. I was almost not living a double life. I was almost honest.

Rigorous honesty. I hate rigorous honesty. It means I don’t get to have my way. For example, I can’t be the husband and father I want to be and still have the excitement of sex with men. It’s been over a month since I’ve felt that excitement. The desire is not gone, but the obsession has been lifted for now, for today.

Rigorous honesty. I love rigorous honesty. Two days ago my wife and I had a long conversation with one of our children about the importance of honesty. For the first time in about four years I got to fully participate in one of those "honesty" conversations as the father and husband I want to be. I could focus on the conversation without the distraction of my hypocrisy. I could focus on my child. On my family.

Rigorous honesty. Growing up. What a wonderful gift I have been given. Today.

Have a great today.

Flip

7 comments:

D said...

I am very happy for you -- being completely honest with yourself and others must be very refreshing.

You have given your child a wonderful gift. It will take him far in life.

Flip said...

Thanks Drew.

I'm nowhere near completely honest. It's a daily struggle.

The progress I have made has truly been a gift I've neither earned nor deserved. I respect the fact that it can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Rey Rey said...

Such an amazing post, Flip... Honesty is such a huge step in acceptance of yerself and exactly who you are. And not only are you an inspiration for your kid, but you're an inspiration for all of us too.

Wait, when did I turn into Mr. Hallmark?

Tom said...

I see and hear a lot of gratitude lists in 12 Step, as I'm sure you do, but few sources of gratitude are as unexpected and inspiring as this one. Beautiful post.

Flip said...

Thanks for reading and commenting and also for inspiring me through your own blogs. And Mr. Secret, I think Hallmark is OK. It's when you start looking like a Precious Moments figurine that you should really start to worry.

Anthony said...

Great post Flip. Your progress is commendable. as is you humility. Proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! how to install a second harddrive Mercedes 560secmedina Backpacker backpacking cheap insurance travel butalbital+and+aspirin Window air conditioner vs central air paraguay cheap calling card Butalbital apap buy butalbital fioricet Night driving eyeglasses boating schools in dfw Drug testing for butalbital apap caffeine Obtain ligally butalbital Neurontin 100 mg capsules butalbital 2fapa Internet marketing service