Friday, March 03, 2006

Stand Still

Most mornings I start my day by reading short, daily selections from four spiritual / recovery type books.

In one of these books, Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men, each day's selection begins with a quote from a famous or seemingly-famous source followed by a message related to the quote.

Today's quote seems relevant to a number of (all of?) our lives. Plus I remembered it after reading and reflecting on Mr. Secret's random thing "c)" in his post today.

In addition to reading it as written I've tried substituting "truth", "destiny", "bliss" and "relationship" (Rey?) for "livelihood." Try it. Try your own substitutions.


"Why are you rushing so much?" asked the rabbi. "I'm rushing after my livelihood," the man answered.

"And how do you know," said the rabbi, "that your livelihood is running on before you, so that you have to rush after it? Perhaps it's behind you , and all you need to do is stand still."

--Tale about Rabbi Ben Meir of Berdechiev

Have a great weekend, and thanks for being there.

Flip




4 comments:

Anthony said...

beautifully thought provoking. Thanks Flip

Rey Rey said...

Wow, Flip, that was really great... It's really humbling to know that my words actually inspire someone. Thanks a thousand times.

xo

Spider said...

WOW - maybe that is why I am so tired... thanks Flip!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »