Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back to Basics

Thanks to everyone who has commented and emailed me regarding my last post. When I can, I would like to respond to your comments which were very insightful and thought provoking. I sincerely appreciate everyone taking the time to leave them and / or to email me.

For no single reason, this has been a really rough couple of weeks for me physically, mentally and emotionally This morning I commented that I just wanted to take a vacation from being me. Of course, that's why I used to drink. I couldn't stand being me.

That scares me.

My goal over the next few days is to try to focus on the basics that I know will get me back "on the beam." I will start by reading my two "Twenty-Four Hours a Day" posts. I need a reminder.

Peace to you all,

Flip

2 comments:

Brad said...

"A vacation from being me..." What a novel idea. Perhaps I could use just such a vacation.

But then again, I might get homesick for my nasty, surly self.

Restored Vows said...

A little humor is always good....On our first date, my wife and I went to see "What about Bob?" with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfus. Wasn't this the advice that the Psychiatrist gave "Bob"..to take a vacation from his problems.

One of the punch lines of the movie was to use "baby steps" to help fix Bob's problems. The "psycho-babble" term is "partialization" -- breaking down tasks/problems into achieveable goals.

As far as goals go, I use the acronym SMART: Simple, Manageable, Achieveable, Realistic, and Timely. I've always said that "you are the best expert over you". You know what makes you tick, and what thoughts/emotions could lead to a slip or relapse. Our lives problems may not magically go away, but we can learn to make them more manageable.

"Just for today..."