Monday, July 31, 2006

The Beam The Cult

From AA related literature (An Interpretation of the Twelve Steps - The Detroit Pamphlet):
Today most commercial flying is done on a radio beam. A directional beam is produced to guide the pilot to his destination, and as long as he keeps on this beam he knows that he is safe, even if he cannot see around him for fog, or get his bearings in any other way.As soon as he gets off the beam in any direction he is in danger, and he immediately tries to get back on to the beam once more.
From a poster found in many AA groups:
ON THE BEAM / OFF THE BEAM

HONESTY / DISHONEST
FAITH / FEAR
COURAGE / FRIGHTENED
CONSIDERATE / INCONSIDERATE
HUMILITY / PRIDE
GIVING / GREEDY
CALM / ANGER
GRATEFUL / ENVY
PATIENCE / IMPATIENT
TOLERANCE / INTOLERANT
FORGIVENESS / RESENTMENT
LOVE / HATE
SELF - FORGETFULNESS / SELF-PITY
HUMILITY / SELF-JUSTIFICATION
MODESTY / SELF-IMPORTANCE
SELF - FORGIVENESS / SELF-CONDEMNATION
TRUST / SUSPICION
MODERATION / GLUTTONY
ACTION / SLOTH
Today I'm "off the beam."
So what.
Am I a healthy member of AA or am I a two-bit Tom Cruise-like cult member?
Later.
Flip

2 comments:

Brad said...

It's tough to be on your toes all the time. A few missteps here or there are fine, I suspect, as long as you keep your eyes on the ultimate goal.

Restored Vows said...

I only have a few weeks left working with addictions, then I will have to find other employment as a versatile social worker. With that said, here is a comment for you.

Recovery in itself is a choice. Just like a straight timeline with arrows on both ends, you are either on the road to Recovery or on the road to Relapse. Your own recovery is in the middle and it is constantly moving. That is why is is vitally important to be plugged into a local AA group and to obtain a sponsor with some amount of sobriety under HIS belt.

The saying, "play the tape through to the end" is very real. You did not get this far in your sobriety to throw it all away.

This weekend I bought "When a Man Loves a Woman" with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia. I love that movie. I would recommend it, but I don't want it to be a trigger for you either. Your addiction is something that you are going to have to battle your entire life. Some days will be easier, some days harder.

Again, I applaud you for your current sobriety. You have chosen a path that is not easy. There are people, whether local as in your family or AA group, or distant as in your online family that are pulling for you.

You can always contact me though my blog's email. Hang in there Flip!