Sunday, August 13, 2006

Entirely is a Whole Lot

From Alcoholics Anonymous

Step Four: Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Step Five: Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Step Six: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Step Seven: Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Step Eight: Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.


My first year in AA I mostly wanted to hurry up and get through the 12 Steps as though I could then pronounce myself healed and get on with my life. In meetings, when I heard people explaining the folly of their having held this very belief – and agreed with their logic – deep inside I knew it didn’t apply to me. I was different. Terminally unique as we say in the cult.

Early on that first year I was anxious to start Step Four, my personal inventory. This was the first real assignment – a written exam - where I could demonstrate my superior intelligence and understanding of the task at hand. I knew I could excel at this.

My sponsor had to remind me several times that he would let me know when I was ready. Damn control freak. Eight or nine months into my sobriety he finally told me I was ready and I should start writing my Step Four inventory. At that point I put on the brakes. I had thought it all out in my head. It was as good as done, and I had done a terrific job of it – in my head. Why should I have to take the time to write it down? Of course I didn’t tell my sponsor this, but it’s the closest I can come to describing the process of being anxious to complete the task until I was actually told to complete it, then being almost incapable of making myself complete it. A pattern which was, and continues to be, very common in my life.

A couple of months later my sponsor gave me a hard and fast deadline for Step Four completion – which only had to be extended once.

The morning after completing Step Five (an excruciating review of the Step Four inventory with my sponsor) I set aside an hour or so to sit peacefully near a quiet duck pond near our house. I reviewed my written Step Four and what had transpired during Step Five. Being a good analyst I made a list of my character defects. A shortcomings hit list, if you will. Next I read Steps Six and Seven then looked back at the hit list. Well, of course I was entirely ready to have those defects removed. What a grotesque collection of attributes. There was absolutely no problem humbly asking the god of my (mis)understanding to remove those shortcomings. I said the Seventh Step prayer*. And I really meant it…to the best of my understanding…

In retrospect, if there had been a flash of lightning and my character defects had all been completely removed at that moment, it would have been like having all of my bones removed. I would have fallen to the ground into a quivering, shapeless mass of humanity. My character defects were just about all that was holding me together.

It is now a year and a half later. I have still not done Step Eight. But in the meantime, as has been partially catalogued on this blog, I have continued to enjoy, wallow in, and even refine, some of my character defects. At the same time I have put forth a concerted effort to eradicate many of those same defects. But I have not progressed to Step Eight. My sponsor stands ready to go over the list with me, but he has left it up to me to make the appointment. It has been made once then cancelled by me.

Over the past month or so at least three quarters of the AA meetings I have attended have been Step Six and/or Step Seven meetings…a coincidence I’m sure. A fact also coinciding with my developing a much deeper understanding of Six and Seven…particularly the word “entirely” in Step Six and the fact that these steps do not require me to work tirelessly to eradicate my character defects. They only require me to be honestly, completely...entirely...and humbly ready to have them removed. Not work really hard to remove them, but have them removed. Of course it probably wouldn’t hurt if I put forth a little effort – but the key is willingness not relentless action. And it's up to me neither which ones are removed nor when or even if they are removed.

Sometimes it’s a lot easier to hammer away at life frantically and desperately than it is to wait, contemplate, ask sincerely then let go and be patient. OK, for me not “sometimes.” Always. Up until now.

Have a great day.


Flip



* Seventh Step Prayer, page 76, Alcoholics Anonymous:

"My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen."

7 comments:

Brad said...

In my mind, Step Eight would be the most difficult. I think you're well on your way to accomplishing Step Seven.

bear said...

Whoops! Someone's looking for extra credit! I do think we can work on making ourselves better, but it's not something that you can schedule, so awareness seems to be the objective and the steps are there to make you aware of this so you can work on it (perhaps some might take a long while...)
I too think, Step 8 can be pretty tricky, since you might be willing to ask forgiveness, some are not so willing to give it...I think the key word is for you to be "willing" and maybe not actually explicitly seek it, right?

Restored Vows said...

Most of the steps of AA have been incorporated into other 12-step programs where they substitute whatever their addiction was for alcohol (I.E. cocaine, sex, gambling, etc). I had to break out my own edition of the Big Book to verify what Flip was referencing.

As a bi-married, Christian man that has had his lot of "hookups" with various men, I wonder how a "fearless moral inventory of ourselves" would apply to my situation? I mean, lets call it for what it is -- Adultery. While this is a very harsh assessment, it is very accurate. Flip is taking responsibility in acknowledging his moral failures due to his alcoholism. Shouldn't I do the same?

Fellow blogger Troll recently outed himself to his wife and kids and moved out for "greener pastures" of a gay life. There is no guarantees that what us bi-married guys risk if we out ourselves in the like manner. Just like AA endorses abstinance from alcohol, the only way I see for my own "abstinance" is sexual relations with my wife only, and total celibacy with men. However, the "draw" of this love/hate relationship is powerful. Some would say recommitment to my marriage vows, while others advise to "out" myself just like Troll has done. Another choice is the status quo: do nothing. I'm wondering if anyone else feels as conflicted and confused as I am?

"Just for today..."

Spider said...

Four is easy - until you have someone read your work and send you back again and again to do it right...

And you are so right Brad, 8 is a bitch - and one, if you do it right, you never complete...

Bigg said...

I have always found the idea of a 12-step program to be rather like church: too confining and rule-bound for an unrepentant reprobate such as myself. Reading your journey with it here, you've made me much more interested in it.
I hope everything is good with you.

Flip said...

Brad: Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I think I'm just sitting on Seven in full avoidance of Step Eight.

bear: I think you've got my number - and I don't mean seven or eight. And I do need to be ready to make amends with no expectation of how they will be received.

Restored: I believe you already know I'm as conflicted and confused as you are. One point I would like to make regarding your comment is that I do not in any way blame my infidelity on my alcoholism although I certainly wish I could! On the other hand, I do think that any chance I have of redeeming myself is only possible if I am sober and it will come about as a result of what I am learning through doing the steps.

Spider: You are absolutely right. A Fourth Step is no fun unless you have a brutal sponsor. And you are also right about Eight. It never really ends from what I understand. Of course since I haven't even "officially" begun I'm probably not too qualified to say.

Kevin: Thanks for the hugs! I will take them any time, anywhere.

Bigg: Thanks for the good wishes. Before it was suggested I try AA I felt the same way. It seemed way too religious based on what little I knew - which was not much. Actually there are no real rules although it is certainly recommended that one follow certain suggestions if one is going to succeed. I think the founders of AA planned it so there were no rules since most of us drunks are pretty rebellious (I am not including you in the drunk part of "us").

Thanks to everyone for commenting.

Flip

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work best value tennis odds http://www.attorney-fee-schedule-patents-trademarks.info/Repair_manuel_alfa_romeo_155.html http://www.ics-payday-loans.info/Social-security-claims-missouri.html mercedes for sale macon ga dental health plans us large dildos canada Callcenter z