Thursday, July 26, 2007

What Will I Take With Me When I Go?

One of my daily reading and meditation sources is a book entitled Twenty-Four Hours a Day.

Part of today's entry:


When we come to the end of our lives on earth, we will take no material thing with us. We will not take one cent in our cold, dead hands. The only things that we may take are the things we have given away. If we have helped others, we may take that with us; if we have given of our time and money for the good of A.A., we may take that with us. Looking back over our lives, what are we proud of? Not what we have gained for ourselves, but what few good deeds we have done. Those are the things that really matter in the long run. What will I take with me when I go?

What a great question. What will I take with me when I go? If I leave today, the answer is not much.

That's not fair. Who am I to judge? And am I even qualified to judge? So let me revise my answer.

Not as much as I could.

I can't change what I have given away so far in my life. I can only change what I give away from this day forward.

I'm very thankful AA has given me the opportunity to understand this - especially today, while I'm planning the rest of my life.

And how's that plan coming along? you might ask.

Fine. Just fine. Right on track.

I love you.

Flip

5 comments:

Nate said...

Welcome back - you sound real good. And if the plan takes four days, I would not be too concerned. If the road is the right one, a little extra time should be fine.

Anthony said...

You are much loved too flip.

Paul said...

Your legacy, beginning with family and friends, is not to be undervalued!

bear said...

I always get a warm fuzzy when you end with "I love you", seems so warm and familiar...I couldn't pull it off without sounding ingenuine I think.

I think you take away the memories good and bad. I think you're focusing on the bad, like the guilt. There are plenty good one's I'm sure. Knowing this, make as many good one's as you can! As well as leave happy one's for everyone around you.
Your impact on others is unknown to you, for example, your simple statement of "I love you" has left a great memory for me to take with me! You have a lot of love and are loved. when you go, I think you'll take a lot more away from others than you think.

RB said...

What a great quote....really puts life in perspective. I need to get that book.

Thanks.