Wednesday, February 22, 2006

(Out of the) Closet Man - A Brief Unauthorized Reflection

(Second post in a row with a disclaimer. Wonder what that means.)
The opinions reflected below are my own and are based solely on Internet communications over the past few weeks. Although it is extremely rude, I’m posting this without (Oot) Closet Man's approval but will un-post at his request. Oh, and I watch too much Discovery Channel when I’m on the road.

I love (Oot) Closet Man, aka Drew. He is one no-nonsense guy though definitely not in an unfeeling way. In fact he’s very in touch with his feelings, but he doesn’t wallow in them. They wash over him, he feels and acknowledges them, and then he moves on. He doesn’t rush them but neither does he cling to them.

Drew reminds me of a Coast Guard cutter in action. Moving always forward through the storm, sometimes quickly sometimes slowly. Constantly learning; adjusting course and speed according to whatever the elements serve up. At times disappearing, seemingly capsized. But just when you think all is lost, bobbing up, righting itself and surging forward.

The Coast Guard cutter takes care of others, but in order to do so it takes care of itself. It stays afloat and on course. No nonsense. Lots of feeling.

I’ve learned a lot from Drew in the short time I’ve known him. Thanks Drew.

Have a great day everybody.

Flip

PS I also love (Oot)Closet Man’s blog and his audience. He attracts some very interesting comments that sometimes get me riled up. I’ve got a few unauthorized reflections about a recent one but time is short today so that will have to wait.

PPS I'm not playing favorites. I love all you guys. I was originally going to post about the aforementioned comment, but decided to spend today's time writing about Drew instead. Will get to the comment later.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

I have to admire Drew. A great post about him. The coast gurd cutter comparison is excellent.

I was kind of dumb founded by that one comment.

D said...

Stop, you're making me blush! OK, your actually making me teary (but why should today be different than the past 2 weeks, right?).

But, seriously, I'm really nothing special. Just an average guy who found himself in a difficult situation. There is not much to learn from me except, maybe, that we are not alone in this struggle.

Thank you, though, for your kind words.