Friday, March 24, 2006

Oenophobia; What Went Around May Be Coming Around (It's Only Fair); Lurkers

Although I travel almost every week, this week’s trip involved traveling with, meeting with and entertaining both current and prospective clients…all under the microscope of our company’s senior management. Today I’m mentally, physically and emotionally drained. I’m also trying desperately to catch up on other blogs. The best I can do is a few odds and ends.

  • I am blessed with amazing people in my life. Night before last our company hosted an expensive dinner including the aforementioned senior management, clients and prospects. Shortly after arriving at the restaurant, I was given the (virtually inescapable) "honor" of choosing the wines for the dinner. Before I got sober one of my favorite drugs was wine. The more expensive the better. After two years I have reached a point where I can usually attend functions where the wine flows freely without having to repeat the Serenity Prayer over and over. This was different.

    I wasn’t tempted to drink. I just panicked. I wanted to run out of the restaurant. Run for safety.

    The sommelier was making recommendations. I started nodding my head, sweating, searching for the "eject" button. He said I could taste before choosing. Too loudly and stridently I said, I DON'T WANT TO TASTE THEM.” I looked past the sommelier to see the CEO of our company chatting with one of our main clients about two feet away.

    The people on my team are the greatest. Several of them are good friends who know much of my story. One of them suddenly appeared at my side and asked me if I needed help. He gracefully took over. I was able to slip away with dignity, sipping on my Diet Coke.


  • Last week, out of the blue, my wife received an email from her old high school sweetheart. First communication in decades. He is now divorced. Flip's mind is working overtime. What if... past; What if... future. I'm already learning some lessons. Stay tuned.


  • To any lurkers: You are always welcome here. My experience: I lurked for a while. Commented on other blogs for a while. Then, with encouragement (thanks again Tom!), started blogging. With each step the experience became richer.

    Happy Friday all!

    Flip

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spider said...

I hope the person who asked you to select the wines did not know about your past... if he did, that was one of the most insensitive things I have ever heard of - but you handled it, and did it with class and style.

And like Kevin said, we are always here for you buddy...

Tom said...

I think that stuff gets easier--I have long-sober friends who work in the restaurant business, deal with alcohol all the time, recommend wines, open bottles--it just becomes part of the wallpaper. But I think those people go to a lot of meetings. AS SHOULD WE ALL!

Flip said...

Thanks Spider, Hypoxic and Tom! Let me be really clear about this, I count you as among the amazing people in my life. Thanks for being there for me.

Brad said...

Um, the thing with the wine could be construed as highly insensitive.

But, like Spider said, you were a class act.

I've got lurkers too. Doesn't bother me a bit. Maybe they're shy and don't want to sit with me on the front porch.

I'll just sit in my rocker and wave at 'em.

RJ March said...

Ahhh-- so funny at the end, when you spotted me in the bushes, lurking! I literally felt found out!

Interesting situations and some similar issues, so I will definitely be back.

And I won't lurk next time!

RJ

P.S. Y'all are welcome to lurk over on my porch anytime, guys.

Flip said...

Brad: The folks who appointed me to choose the wine had no idea of my history so it made perfect sense. And I LOVE your porch analogy. God bless the South - at least the porch part of it.

RJ: Welcome. Join me on my porch any time. I'm glad I found yours and I will be spending some time on it.

Happy Sunday everyone. I hope it's going well for you. F

PS No offense to those not from the South. Some of my favorite porches are above the M-D line...and south of the equator, too!

Anthony said...

Well done to you, and kudos to your friend for stepping in.

Thank you Flip. You are an inspiration. Glad you know you have a place on a porch swing so far South.