Friday, April 07, 2006

Psycho-babble

Restored Vows commented on my Tuesday From The Vault post with the following:


You need to realize that you are dealing with two very real life-dominating
issues: alcoholism and gay/bi issues. For myself, I am not an alcoholic in
recovery, but am a conservative Christian who's theology believes that
homosexuality is a "sin", but one that can be overcome by one's faith if you
choose. However, I would have to confess that I am "backslidden" which means
that I am not following as closely as once was. I am guilty of committing
"adultery" with another man. This does not justify my actions. AA teaches that
you need to be "Honest, Open, and Willing". This is my honesty....You need to be
commended on your recovery efforts as far as your substance abuse is concerned.
The same-sex issues are a whole other issue. My counsel would be to work on one
issue at a time. For instance, I don't recommend trying to quit smoking when a
person is in the early stages of recovery. It sets themselves up for failure.I
can always be reached via my blog if you so choose. "One day at a time..."
My initial response was to dismiss this advice with, "Yeah, right. You don't know me."

Of course when I react that way it means I've just heard something I don't like, which means I need to explore further rather than dismissing. (Growing up sucks.)

After some reflection, I understand that what Restored said explains something that has troubled me. Guys like Drew and Woe (and many others) seem so much more efficient, courageous and forthright than I in working through their issues. Yes, this statement makes me guilty, at least partially, of "comparing my insides to their outsides," a normal human reaction we are encouraged to avoid in AA. But not entirely.

For example, Drew and his wife were having grown up discussions and drawing logical conclusions shortly after the bomb dropped. Some were ideas that have taken me months, years to even begin to understand. Some were (and continue to be) completely eye opening. I see Woe walking a very careful line to both be (pardon my judgment, but undeservedly) fair to his wife and look out for his children even when he would have good reason to let go and have some well-deserved fun (Flip-slut projects).

This is not a beat up myself exercise. It is my realization that Restored is right. Bi / gay issues are not only very large on their own, but when combined with other major issues like alcoholism, abuse as a child, loss of a parent at an early age, etc. a very complex minefield may be created. As Restored pointed out, in some cases it may be wise not to attack the bi / gay issue until the other issues are cleared up or at least separated out from the bi / gay thing.

I believe that's true in my case, not only with alcoholism but in the way I treated my wife before, during and after my "I need to move out and try being gay" announcement. After more than a year of therapy and AA my head began to clear a bit. I was treating my wife in a way completely inconsistent with both my love for her and the way I wanted to treat her. Examples include continuing to engage in anonymous sexual encounters even while wanting with to stay married to her, and becoming unreasonably angry for very minor reasons.

I began to believe that some (not all) of these behaviors were really a way of acting out anger at my mother (ugh, how gay Freudian trite - but I really think it's true) and probably also at society as a whole for "preventing" me from being who I was for so long. My wife was a natural target for this anger both because of the mother-figure thing (nausea) and the little voice that said "she is all that's standing between you and what you want."

When this dawned on me, one thing I did was buy and read the book Mothers, Sons and Lovers, How a Boy's Relationship With His Mother Affects the Rest of His Life. It was not easy (hello Tony Perkins in Psycho). But becoming aware has really changed my treatment of my wife and taken me a long way towards my goal of consistently doing the right thing because I want to.

Well, enough psycho-babble (npi). I guess the point is that I acted as though my only problem was my repressed gayness. I thought if I just got honest and "switched parties"everything else would fall into place. Now I know that's really just a beginning. And in some cases working through other issues (like alcoholism) should be the real beginning.

Obviously most of you already know this. I wish I had before I pulled the pin on the grenade.

Happy Friday!

Flip

7 comments:

Brad said...

I read "Restored Vows" comment and then read the posts and comments at their/his website.

Anyone can believe whatever they want, but I believe this and believe it strongly: My gayness is not something that I can work on and change. Not through God or a twelve step program.

Gay is me. I am gay. It would be like trying to change and become a left handed person, just minus the heavy psychological issues. It would not, nor would it ever be natural. For me.

That said, maybe there are people that have differing degrees of homosexuality. Maybe for some it can be conquered. (I wonder if someone's homosexual tendencies could ever be completely vanquished, though. The mind is not like a hard drive that can be reformatted. Vestiges would remain.) For those that believe or can do battle with the gay feelings that they have, and win, God bless them.

As for me, I choose to fly the white flag of surrender. It is so much easier on my psyche.

Hope you have a great weekend as well, Flip. You certainly deserve one.

Brad said...

Flip, one more thing. Thank-you for what you do here. You really challenge me to think.

Flip said...

Thanks Brad.

And I agree with you 100%. I was created with an attraction to men. It is not something I wish to change, nor do I think I could if I wanted to.

My goal is to be honest with myself about who I am and how my life should be lived. Having you and the others on my porch (and out in the grass) helps me do that.

Nate said...

I have not read the restored yet, but I think I understand where Flip is coming from. There is only so much can put on a plate before the bottom falls out. Prioritizing - planning one's battle's - is not a denial of struggles ahead.

I think the comments of Brad on some level gets to a married bi / single gay divide that is very important. Brian commented on my blog once that it is about reconciliation, not suppression.

When I struggled with labels, Flip was the one who used the word queer (I am in so many ways)and helped me over a hump in my thinking.I fully accept my hard wiring and lord knows I took my lumps (appropriately) for misuse of the word "cured".

But for those of us with wives and children we love, there are unique issues- I struggle every day (literally) with these issues as do many others.

Thanks both of you - this is so central to my own place (or maybe lack thereof is better phrasing) at the moment.

Flip said...

I just read what I wrote yesterday. For me this was the blog version of "thinking out loud."

I'm still thinking, but not through the keyboard. I really appreciate Brad and Nate providing some clarification for me by making thoughtful, insightful comments. And as always I appreciate anyone else who tried to read the babble.

When I talk about tackling the bi / gay issue, I'm definitely not talking about getting cured. I don't think it is a disease. As Nate mentioned, for me it is much more about reconciliation - and also making it a non-issue in my life (though not unimportant). Maybe what I mean is "right-sizing" it as an issue. In spite of the sometimes difficult life queerness has provided me I would not change it if I had a chance. But, like Brad, I think others have a right to deal with this issue in their own way. I am not threatened by that.

Uh oh, I'm thinking through the keyboard again.

Nate summarized part of what I was trying to say much more eloquently than I was able. But I think there's more trying to pop to the surface, too. I'm just not sure what it is yet.

Later!

F

Brad said...

I had read the "Restored Vows" site earlier in the week, before I made my comment here, Flip.

My initial reaction was an instant anger at the site and what it stood for.

I mulled it over for a couple of days before you posted what you did here.

It wasn't nearly as troublesome for me by then. I had decided that I made a hasty judgment and it was irresponsibile intellectually.

I realized that by the time I commented here. I hope my words show that.

Thusly, my comment was more about the "Restored Vows" folks than it ever was meant to be about you, Flip.

I'm kind of glad that your next post came a few days afterwards, though. I might have "said" something in the heat of the moment that wasn't really intended.

Once again, I suppose I am over clarifying. If that is worrisome to you in any way, I apologize.

Restored Vows said...

Wow...I am honored to get a whole blog entry!

The point of the blog I co-author is from a married Christian man that believes that acting out with other men is a form of "adultery". This does not mean that we don't have the same-sex attraction or can be totally "cured". It means that we are hoping to "restore" the vows that we made to our wives sometime in the past.

We are not bashing anyone, nor coming from a self-righteous attitude. I don't pretend to have all the answers (aka psycho-babble) that is why I wanted some online support/advice to see what the "masses" thought.

I hope this clears up any misgivings. I am a social worker trained in diversity and tolerance. All I am asking is a little tolerance from the GLBT community for a different paradigm...an alternative point of view.

FLIP - One Day at a Time and one issue at a time.

Brad - Thanks for sharing....Keep coming back!