Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Doctor's Opinion

A few days ago I met with Dr. M, my esteemed shrink. We reviewed my recent observation of the progress I’ve made over the past 2+ years as discussed in my last post. As usual, we also discussed my sexual orientation and recent struggles with the temptations of anonymous sex and alcohol.

Feeling strangely optimistic, I asked the doctor for his prognosis.

He said, “I believe you will always struggle with this.”

I agree. And today I’m OK with that. In fact, I’m grateful for it. This queer...no, strike that...this bisexual (thanks Brad!) drunk has a chance to be the person he’s supposed to be. And I believe that person needs to have experienced the joys and the struggles I have experienced plus those I will face as long as I am given the gifts of sobriety and life.

It’s taken me a while to realize this…again. And I often forget it. (Hello past month).

I hope you’re having a good day. I am.

Flip

3 comments:

Brad said...

It's amazing how you can keep struggling for so long, only to learn there never was a struggle to begin with.

john said...

Glad to hear that you are having a good day!!

A Troll At Sea said...

Mr. Flip,

Every dog has his day. I am delighted you are having yours.

Mine seems a bit far off at present.

Cheers
the
Troll

ps: I know NOTHING about the physics of your strips. Where I come from you flip over one end of a strip of paper and glue it to itself. Voila.