Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Clarification and Recommendation

Clarification

I just want to let you know a few things that may or may not be clear from my blog.

  1. I've never been particularly religious - in fact at times I've been an avowed atheist. I write a lot about spirituality and the God of my understanding in this blog because it is a new and exciting part of my life that has come about because of my involvement in AA. It is very much on my mind these days. Writing about spirituality, and more importantly reading your comments about what I write, helps me immensely in my thinking.
  2. I write a lot about AA because it means a lot to me. It is a gift that has saved my life. I use AA as a blueprint for my life right now. But I'm NOT a spokesperson for AA. I often hesitate to write about it in this forum because of the Eleventh Tradition of AA, which states, "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films." Obviously this blog is not "at the level of press," but it's important to anyone who reads my blog to understand that I do not represent AA. If I fail, it is not because AA does not work.
  3. I sometimes hesitate to share what is going on in my life because I know what goes up must come down and vice-versa. But it is a true representation of my life. Therefore I usually record the large swings.


Recommendation

Tom recommended the current post, "Church Outside the Bottle" on the blog, The Golden Ass. It is a great view of AA from a non-member's perspective. I found it very interesting, especially in light of my ongoing thoughts on spirituality and religion.

Thanks for the recommendation, Tom. And thanks for helping end my latest pity party, too!

As always, I appreciate all of you more than you will ever know.

Flip

6 comments:

Jason Hesiak said...

Hey Poopeeoh Sympatho-Party, GET IT TOGETHER! Just kidding! Just following your advise on I think your third post down telling us to stop leaving sympathetic comments, that "you need to learn". Seriously, I pray that you have the courage to whatever is right and (I think that would mean) keeping your WORD and maintaining committment (but I don't know your situation, so I'm really just praying that you keep HOPE, ENCOURAGEMENT and STRENGTH THROUGH THE SPIRIT OF GOD). Thakns for the compliment, and "advertisement" (that's a new one for me) on my post! Glad it blessed you.

Also, I see you put down "Prison Reform" as an interest. Less than common, and interesting. Where did that come from? I've read a little Foucault on similar stuff...

john said...

Thanks for sharing that with us and trusting us enough to open up the way you have in many of your posts.

bear said...

Personally, I like the wild mood swinging posts...keeps it interesting and exciting!(Although sometimes it's hard to tell what's up.) I gathered you are just being spontaneous anyways.
I'm also glad that you've found AA to help you at this time in your life. Life's tough so every little bit helps! :)

Brad said...

Flip, Flip, Flip. I already knew. Your blog is not a promotion of a way of life, it is and always has been about your journey.

Your friend,

B.

Paul said...

Flip thanks for sending me to Jason's. What he said has a lot of relevance for me: 1) We're all broken; confession is good for the soul. 2) On this Earth, we're all connected. And if (it seems like) we're not, we need to be. We must get involved to find our support group. 3) Acceptance of others is critical in order for us to accept ourselves.

Thanks. Plus I always appreciate your own candor and insights!

Flip said...

Jason: Thanks for the comment. I believe you are correct that the right thing is keeping my word and maintaining my commitment. Your comment is a good reminder that I did commit myself to be married in spite of my attraction to men...and that my wife knew about that attraction when we both made that commitment. Unfortunately that is easier said than done for this guy...but I haven't given up yet.

Regarding prison reform, I do service work through a restorative justice program in a nearby state jail. It is actually the highlight of my life right now. For some of us the bars are tangible. For others they are not. But the goals are the same.

John: Thanks for the encouragement...and thanks for being there.

Bear: I'm glad you are enjoying the roller coaster ride. Sometimes I think it might be somewhat tiresome...but then I remember that no one is forced to read my blog.

Hypoxic: Thanks. I did smile when I read your kind and sweet comment. And I hope you know how much your encouragement means to me.

Brad: You know...I can't help it. Thanks for being my friend.

Paul: I agree with your points wholeheartedly. Thanks for reading and thanks for writing, too!

Flip