Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Fog is Lifting Slowly

VERY slowly. Since returning I've tried to conjure even a slightly coherent post in my head with nothing to show for the effort. Truly, I'm not trying to be difficult. It is just taking me much longer to get back on track than I expected.

Being so far away both in miles and culture did remind me of and teach me a few things. The most important lesson is how crucial my family and my friends are to my positive, productive existence in this world.

Perhaps it was different with my old friend alcohol by my side...I truly can't remember...but I am now a person who would much rather isolate myself than make new connections and interact with the world. I know, being in a strange place with strange working hours and jet lag is not a particularly relevant experiment. But I detected an underlying pattern of behavior that could have been easily excused with a daily dose of anesthetic.

On top of that, they really seemed to be glad I was back. That was nice too.

This lesson is very important to me in the context of my current life. It gives me a sense that being honest with myself really does mean not only accepting my sexuality but acknowledging that making every effort to stay married to the person I committed my life to all those years ago is the right thing to do. For me. Today.

Yeah, I still wonder sometimes. Crazy, huh.

This trip taught me a few other things, too. Maybe they will seem worth sharing. We'll see.

Thanks for being there. I missed you.

Flip

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back. The fact that your family, along with a bunch of people in this world missed you, is a good thing.

Flip becoming lovable an missable? What a concept.

Cymber said...

Welcome home. I missed you around here.

Spider said...

Flip - there is no one who is more honest with themselevs than you are my friend - I wish I had the capability you have in that department...

Paul said...

Isn't it a great feeling to be missed/wanted?

bear said...

Travels away from the familiar can open your eyes and make you put things in perspective. Glad you were able to get this out of your trip. I'm curious about the other insights! Welcome back. :)

Bigg said...

I missed you too, Flip!

Anthony said...

Flip, welcome back although I have not been around much myself. I would hope you do share what you learnt :)

Flip said...

Brad: You are too nice. Thanks!

Cymber: Thanks. I missed you guys too.

Spider: I appreciate the kind words. Personally, it is always a struggle and I think I have a long way to go. But progress, not perfection, eh?

Paul: Yes it is. It seems very childish, but maybe it isn't. Maybe it's just human.

Bear: I absolutely agree with you. And I seem to frequently forget how much I can learn from my travels. Nevertheless, it's great to be back!