Wednesday, October 11, 2006

More Stuff

While I was gone I got away from my AA program. The nearest meetings were far away from the hotel in which I was staying. But it could have been worse. In one of those interesting twists of fate....or whatever...the other person from my company with whom I was on this "mission," someone I had never met before and who lives in a different country, turned out to be an AA member also. It took us a couple of days to figure this out about each other, but it turned out to be a really nice thing. I don't think I would have had a drink had that person not been there, but it certainly made things a lot more enjoyable and easier. Plus I have a new contact to talk to when I'm having a bad day - and likewise for him.

I'm slowly getting back into the groove. I've noticed my moods and behavior are not as serene as I would like. But I know what to do. Go to more meetings. Get out of my own head. Think of others.

Since returning it has become clearer than ever to me that my wife's and my relationship had gone to hell long before I ever decided I needed to be more gay and announced I was leaving a couple of years ago. I am not using this as a way to excuse my misbehavior...the lying and cheating...the incredible, shameful selfishness and cowadice. But I do think those behaviors would have been harder for me had our relationship been as strong then as it had at times in the past.

Since returning from my trip I am beginning to remember what it was like back in the days when our relationship was strong. What it was like to feel confident in being loved and in showing love. I don't know how all that got away. I do know it was a slow, insidious progression. One that was easy to overlook in the chaos of American, middle-class family life. One that was easy to medicate away with increasing doses of wine and bourbon.

Without getting graphic, Sunday night I was reminded of how much I enjoy having sex with women. OK, one particular woman. It doesn't mean I don't lust after men as much as ever. That hasn't changed. That has always been a constant in my life. But I'm starting to remember now why I thought it was a good idea to marry a woman. One particular woman. And it wasn't just because I was young, stupid and horny, even though I was.

I readily allow misery into my life these days. Happiness I shy away from. It's a real struggle for me to embrace these good feelings and positive insights. But I'm going to try to hang on to them long enough to get back into my AA groove which I know will help me incorporate them into my life and build on them.

Life is good. It's all we have, so it kind of has to be. Unless it isn't.

I love you guys.

Flip

6 comments:

Spider said...

Flip - if I could be just half the man you are I would he happy...

Nate said...

I love where this is going - it is so difficult to separate out the bi/gay thing from the marital issues. Having given this much thought - particularly with a new therapist, having done a recent post (Knots) about it, I still find myself slipping.

By slipping I mean when something goes wrong at home - it happens in the chaotic middle class world you describe so well - rather than saying it is an issue over kids or finances or whatever else, I find myself thinking of the sexual identity which is truly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Sorry for the length, but you touched on something so well.

Paul said...

Life IS good. It's really good to hear you had a great "Sunday night."

Anonymous said...

You don't have to let happiness steal upon you like a thief, Flip. Think of it as a recipe in which you control.

bear said...

Relationships are tough. They take work. I think that might be why it slips away...we start to take the other for granted and sometimes realize too late...when we could have been constantly tending to it.
Happiness can be a switch you turn on, you might have to seek it out, but it's there...hang in there.

Flip said...

Spider: You are very sweet, but you are gonna give me "the big head." It is clear to all around us that you are indeed an incredible man - and you should be happy about that. You are an inspiration to us all.

Nate: Even if it means misery loves company, it's nice to receive that confirmation from you. In retrospect it seems to me that I pulled the "gay" card as a way of trying to escape from the life I had built but could no longer cope with. I do not mean to diminish the importance of TGT nor is this a reflection on anyone else's life or decisions. Many other men are facing this and dealing with this issue maturely. I didn't.

And never apologize for length. (!)

Paul: Thanks. It is. And I am too!

Brad: Thanks. And right back at you guy!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your insightful comments!

F