Friday, November 03, 2006

Answers Shrouded Are Answers Still

Day four of the uneasy but welcome truce in the war zone between my ears.

As the acrid, suffocating smoke of self-pity begins to clear, a form becomes barely discernible.

Is it an answer or just another trick of the mind? Yes. Is there a difference? I don't know. Does it matter which as long as progress is made. Probably not.

One night. Four people. Fred, Chris, Flip. And Johnny. Johnny...a 21st century leper. A man. Loved by God as surely as all lepers. How does a leper feel the love of God? Is it easy or difficult. Does it matter? Probably not.

Perhaps the answer is not "substitute this for that" but rather "concentrate on this with passion and faith and the overwhelming obsession with that will diminish."

An answer heard over and over. Heard and dismissed. Repeated. Repeated. Repeated. Listened to. Pondered. Dismissed in the haze of denial. With the crippling self-impression of terminal uniqueness. Listened to. Pondered.Forgotten.

Repeated. Demonstrated. Repeated. Demonstrated. Demonstrated. Repeated. DEMONSTRATED. Feelings side by side. A comparison simple enough for a child to understand. Do this. Feel. Do this again. Feel. Do that. Feel? Feel the difference? Does it matter?


Yes, it's all that matters.

Is that not how a loving parent teaches a child? Knowledge appears not as a lightning bolt but the barely discernible form of something unrecognized yet familiar, coming slowly into focus?

Peace.

Flip

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree:

The knowledge that is worth retaining is acquired in years, not seconds.

Much like the river that slowly erodes ragged rocks to smoooth pebbles over countless generations.

When did you become so wise?

Spider said...

When did you BOTH get so smart...

Yea - the "slap upside the head" method of education only works once or twice... the slow, steady repetition of thoughts,ideas and values is the way to make everything sink in...

I am so lucky to have such wise friends...

Paul said...

And ... the harder we work for something, the more we appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Flip:

I have noticed something recently that bothers me. I am finding your blog harder to read. When this happened somewhere else, I leapt to the probable conclusion that there was some inner conflict that was coming out in conflicted prose, but this is definitely my problem.

Maybe it's just that I've stopped chasing my tail and cut it off, so I no longer have any compassion for the circling obsessions of others, but I don't THINK that's it.

I am going to have to chew on this one.

In the meantime, hang in there.
And keep on plugging along

yr
T