Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ready, Set, Go. Again.

Scene: Mr. and Mrs. Flip sitting in bed enjoying a quiet evening of reading

Mrs. Flip: You're horoscope for today is interesting. Want to hear it?

Flip: Sure.

Mrs. Flip: (Reading from today's local paper) Leo. You're entering a new phase regarding your close relationships. Complete honesty becomes the rule, rather than the exception.

Flip: (As nonchalantly as possible) Hmmmm, that's interesting.

********************************************************

I don't know much about my higher power, but I do believe that it speaks to me through other people. People in meetings, people in blogland, people sitting next to me in bed. My higher power has been speaking to me a lot recently. I'm a slow (reluctant?) learner but eventually, at least sometimes, catch on.

Therefore...

I'm going to try. Again. I've done it before. One day at a time for around six months if I remember correctly. Of course I'm afraid of failing. Am I setting myself up for a fall?


Well, who isn't?

As Nate so simply stated in his Tuesday, December 19 post, "Be a Man."

Simple. Not necessarily easy. At least not for this man.


Be a Man. Be the man I know I can be. What's the recipe? I don't know, but a combination of goodness and maturity, as referenced in my last post, sounds like a good start..

Simple. Not necessarily easy.

Thanks to the gift of Alcoholics Anonymous and sobriety I have tools I know can help me if I will use them. They include but are not limited to: following the "suggestions" of Alcoholics Anonymous and my sponsor - especially his recent assignments related to fellowship and service work, sticking to my regimen of prayer and meditation, changing my playground and playmates, and keeping my focus on sublime rewards when King Baby demands instant gratification.


So I'm going to call my newest friend today and tell him I probably won't be seeing him for a while. Maybe never again. I know he'll understand.

Have a good day and thanks for being there.

Flip

10 comments:

Spider said...

It just shouldn't be this hard should it Flip... it just shouldn't be...

Anonymous said...

One Day at a Time .... sounds like a sit com. But I know it's not.

You've got some great tools. And honest friends.

Jenika said...

Happy Holidays Flip!

jas said...

Happy Christmas Flip - you have been an inspiration to me. Keep doing what it is that you do.

Jas

Spider said...

Flip - wishing you, Mrs. Flip and all the little "flipsters" a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and the happiest of holidays - and may your 2007 be filled with love, peace, happiness and joy!

Keith said...

I understand some of your struggles. Hope your holiday is going well.

bear said...

"Be a man." I think what Nate meant was that he felt like he didn't feel brave enough to take the next step. The fear of failure keeps us from doing what we should. "Being a man" is trying and never giving up. If you fail, you get up and try again...

Happy Holidays Flip! Thanks for you comment wishing me the same. You've always been so kind and full of love. I wish you and your family the best!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year!!

Flip said...

Spider: Perhaps it wouldn't have been this hard if I had tried growing up when I was a little younger! Better late than never, though.

Anonymous: Yes I do have great tools and great friends, too.

Jenika: Same to you...belatedly.

Jas: LIkewise to you - happy holidays and thanks for the inspiration and insights you continue to provide for me.

Spider: Thanks. In my mind it was our best Christmas ever. I am so grateful for that.

Keith: Thanks for stopping by. I have enjoyed what I have read on your blog and look forward to more.

Bear: Thank you, always, for your insightful comments. I hope your holidays have been great.

Kelly: HNY to you, too! All the best for 2007.

Nate said...

Flip
Reading your comment made me think of the musical quote of the last month: "I was so much older than, I'm younger than that now."

I am honored to be quoted: Be A Man, but ashamed at how poorly I have done since I wrote it.

To me being a man is about accepting personal responsibility for my choices, the good and too often the bad.

I really am happy you are in a good place now.

Nate