Friday, July 11, 2008

Into The Ditch

First, thank you to my two readers, Brad and Cymber. You are both at the top of my blogland list. I appreciate the honesty and thoughtfulness of your comments. And I am grateful to count you both as friends.

Second, I talked about the narrow country lane. Earlier this week I drove straight into the ditch next to that country lane. It wasn't a slow drift. It was a sharp, quick turn of the wheel.

But I'm back on pavement now.

I'm a dangerous combination: a slow learner who thinks he can figure out anything. Like how a twelve step program works. Unfortunately for people like me, this approach makes it much harder to achieve the goal of a twelve step program - to have a spiritual experience which is (one of) the only solution(s) to the problem behavior.

I follow the simple directions in the book for a while, start feeling better, start feeling less than humble, and then decide I can figure it out. I want to figure it out because I think I can find "an easier, softer way." And because I am lazy and don't want to do the work I need to do to maintain my spiritual condition.

I'm a slow learner, so each time I forget what happened the last time. That I neither can nor need to figure it out, and that the result of this effort is always, ALWAYS, an excursion into the ditch (nil?).

I hope you both have a great weekend, and thanks again for the love you show me.

Hugz.

F

5 comments:

Brad said...

Sorry for not being there for you yesterday. I was completely immersed in my own troubles.

Your ability to get out of the ditch, time and time again, is an admirable trait. You just don't quit.

Have a great weekend.

Paul said...

It just proves that nothing's easy. And the older we get, the less we know.

Java said...

Sometimes doing the simplest thing is the most difficult thing to do. That makes sense in my head. It looks weird here, though.

Anthony said...

Hey Flip. Just checking in. Seems I missed a few updates.

You are often thought about. Glad you are back out of the ditch.

Love
Anthony

A Troll At Sea said...

Flipster:

in the long run, you have to learn to do it without the book. That's the hard part.

But you know you're not alone there, in the hard part or in the ditch, right?

T@C