Saturday, April 01, 2006

Dancers

“…I don't know what happens when people die
Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try
It's like a song playing right in my ear
That I can't sing
I can't help listening…”
-from For A Dancer by Jackson Browne


  • J. Great uncle by marriage. Spent 60 years of life with mental capacity of 5 year old after drunk driving accident.
  • M. Child of mother’s best friend. Dead at age 18. Killed during an alcohol-fueled fraternity hazing incident.
  • A. A friend / co-worker's son. Dead at age 20. Killed in a drunk driving accident.
  • A. Great grandfather. Killed in house fire started by drunk great grandmother, who got out alive.
  • W. Grandfather. Dead at age 66. Died while in hospital for alcohol / drug-related illness.
  • V. Great aunt. Drug addict / alcoholic. Successful suicide victim.
  • J. V’s son. Drug addict / alcoholic. Successful suicide victim.
  • R. Grandmother. Drug addict / alcoholic. Unsuccessful suicide victim. Died of natural causes 6 years after suicide attempt.
  • W. Uncle. Long-time alcoholic. Became tortured and demented before dying.

Relatives, friends, acquaintances. Some close. Some not.
God bless them all. May they rest in peace.

  • F. Alcoholic. Drunk driver. Alive. Sober. Today.


Like life and the concomitant knowledge of death, sobriety is a gift.
Recipients are free to use gifts as they wish.

"...And somewhere between the time you arrive and the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive but you'll never know."
-from For a Dancer by Jackson Browne

Take care,

Flip

5 comments:

RJ March said...

You must have communed with my conscience. Thank you for reminding me of what I am supposed to be doing and what I'm not supposed to be doing. Remind me often, Flip.

Nate said...

A very powerful post.

It is a dark album. If I could, another lyric from that album:

"Fountain of sorrow, fountain of light
You've known that hollow sound of your own steps in flight
You've had to hide sometimes, but now you're all right
And it's good to see your smiling face tonight"

As I have e-mailed you, my late mother-in-law spent 25 years in AA and never reached the level of human understanding that shines through in your writings.

I'm with hypoxic - my money is on you to win.

Brad said...

You're hitting really close to home.

Tom said...

WISDOM!

Anthony said...

I love this post in the truth it tells.

It was a looooong weekend and posts like this helped me keep it togeher.

I know you will understand what I am saying when I say it reads like my family tree.