Tuesday, May 02, 2006

An Explanation and an Apology

I received a comment from Restored Vows today, asking about my use of the word "cheers" at the end of my posts as a closing. It seems he's concerned about this word in particular because it might trigger a recovering alcoholic to drink.

The reason I've used "cheers" as a closing is because Flip does on occasion. On many of the comments he leaves at other blogs he also closes with "cheers". Perhaps it has particular meaning to Flip and he might expound upon it here at a later time. I really don't know. I thought it was ironic that he used that particular closing as well and in an effort to keep posts over here somewhat consistent I took to using it at the end of my posts.

R.V. might have a legitimate point, so I will refrain from using that particular closing in the future.

Or at least until Flip offers his explanation.

My apologies to anyone I have offended.

Peace.

Brad, your shiny-new, more sensitive to others, "Temp Flip".

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Hey Temp Flip

Nice apologetic post. Personally I find cheers to be a completely harmless farewell greeting. I applaud your sensitivity though.

Restored Vows said...

Brad -

Thanks for this posting. I'd really like Flip's take on the subject also. As mentioned previously, I am a social worker working as a substance abuse counselor. I am NOT an addict myself however. Maybe I was just being overly sensitive to the needs of someone who struggles with an addiction.

To me, the term "Cheers" is usually associated with drinking alcohol in some form. I was not trying to be the "morality police" by posting my comment; it is just a word. BTW - "Triggers" are cues for a person to return to drinking or drugging. Outside of changing "people. places, and situations", those in recovery may need to avoid other triggers such as movies, music, smells, sights, etc. Having a former crack addict watch the movie "Traffic" or the pothead watch "Up in Smoke", or listening to "Cocaine" on the local rock station probably would not benefit their recovery. These triggers may make them want to return to their drug of choice.

I'm just a professional "voice in the wilderness" sharing what I thought was a legitimate observation. Your doing a good job Brad...."Just for Today"

Restored Vows said...

OK...egg on my face. I've been working with substance abuse for a few years now and the things taught in the textbooks don't apply to everyone.

My apology to Flip, Brad and anyone else sidetracked by this comment.

However, it did spark some interest and discussion about substance abuse.

Regardless, I am an on-line supporter of Flip's sobriety as well as many of the other people who place their comments here.

Peace, Blessings, heck...even Cheers!