Sunday, June 18, 2006

Yes, No, It Doesn't Matter

Thanks to all for the insightful comments on my last post. I agree with each of your comments.

It seems the answer is more dependent on the respondent's interpretation and judgment of the question than on any absolute truth. Which perhaps, in theory, characterizes (to some degree at least?) any question which can be asked.

Hypoxic's reference to Bill W. reminded me that the way I answer the question - in fact perhaps my very need to ask the question - is an indicator of how well I am working my AA program (ie my spiritual condition) at that time. BTW, I'm talking about myself only. I'm not implying any judgment whatsoever of those who commented on the question!

I guess what I'm trying to say can be summed up in two AA suggestions. The one Hypoxic quoted, "To thine own self be true," and "Accept life on life's terms." When I'm working on those two objectives, the question I asked in my last post is irrelevant for me.

3 comments:

Brad said...

Flip,

I just want to wish you a Happy Father's Day and all of the peace that you so richly deserve.

Now, I need to call my dad and stepfather. Those are two calls I've been putting off this morning.

B.

Flip said...

Brad: Thank you very much. As usual you are doing the right thing for your dad and step-dad even though I'm sure it's very difficult.

Hypoxic: Thanks. And thanks for the email.

In his email Hypoxic pointed out that he was quoting Bill Shakespeare not Bill Wilson. I guess I am nothing if not single-minded! Although I did double-check and AA does use Bill S's words in literature and on medallions.

Happy Father's Day to everyone.

Spider said...

Now see, "accepting life on lifes terms" to me means that the question you posted below becomes even more important - for you are dealing with the thoughts that life is throwing your way and not "stuffing" them - not that ANY OF US with an addiction problem do ANYTHING like that - right Flip... ;-)

You have NO IDEA how much you posts keep me thinking about my own sobriety and keep me on the right track - thank you SO MUCH bro!